Saturday 21 November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


Yes I know Thanksgiving isn't until next Thursday, but as we don't get Turkey Day off we celebrated yesterday. It was my first year ever making Thanksgiving and we had NBH's Mom and John, my friend Deb and her husband Dave and two kids Sophie and Aedan over.


Despite having some issues with the pie crust for my pumpkin pie, I think everything turned out really well! NBH was in charge of the turkey, gravy, stuffing and mashed potatoes and I took care of the cranberry sauce, carrot coins, green bean casserole, apple & blackberry crumble and pumpkin pie.


I'm also a huge dork and made some headdresses for Sophie and Aedan. Most impressively Emma didn't seem to care about Sophie playing on the floor on a mat or Aedan's trains and tracks either. She was a very good girl and was rewarded with carrots and turkey for her dinner :)

2 comments:

jef said...

I have a question, I have a question! Me, me! *waves hand around in the air*

Please can you tell me about the headdresses? I heard a little bit about the tradition for kids to put something on the feathers, but can you tell me all about it?

(You can say no and tell me to google instead) xx

Melaina25 said...

There isn't really a tradition. I just made them since the first Thanksgiving was between the pilgrims and the "Indians" and I couldn't figure out how to make a pilgrim hat :)

The most traditional thing to do in school is to draw a hand turkey:

1) Outline your hand
2) Draw an eye and gobbler thing on your thumb to make the head
3) Color in the fingers as feathers
Voila!