Tuesday 8 September 2009

24 weeks

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts them at just over a pound. Since they are almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), they cut a pretty lean figure at this point, but their body is filling out proportionally and they'll soon start to plump up. Their brain is also growing quickly now, and their taste buds are continuing to develop. Their lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help their air sacs inflate once they hit the outside world. Their skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

At 24 weeks, the baby has a chance of survival if it is born. Most babies born before this time cannot live because their lungs and other vital organs are not developed enough. The care that can now be given in neonatal units means that more and more babies born early do survive. But for babies born at around this time there are increased risks of disability.

*How far along?: 24 weeks
*Total weight gain: Don't know.
*How big is baby?: An ear of corn? Is corn really a foot long?
*Maternity clothes?: Yes, luckily NBH washed a bunch at his Mom's while I was in Inverness for work Sunday/Monday
*Sleep?: I have a massive body pillow I bought from Costco that is helping
*Best moment this week?: Our flat went up on the website today and we already have a viewing! I also got pre-approved for a mortgage, so things are moving along.
*Movement?: Yup
*Food cravings?: Nothing specific.
*Labor signs?: No
*Belly button in or out?: Innie, but much shallower
*What I miss: My rings fitting, they are officially on a necklace around my neck and I'm contemplating buying a cheapie ring from Claire's so I don't look like I need to go on Maury.
*What I'm looking forward to: It would have been going to a free screening of "Away We Go," but we had to cancel since we have a viewing tonight.
*Milestone: Don't know if it is a milestone, but I read the bebe "Der Regenbogen Fisch" last night.

No comments: