Wednesday 26 November 2008

The Big Knit

Every November, Innocent Smoothies get a fashion makeover and start sporting little knitted hats. These limited edition bottles benefit Age Concern, with 50p from each special hat purchase helping to support older people in the winter months.

Last year 24‚650 people died as a result of cold related issues in the UK. This seems crazy to me that this is happening here in the western world and it makes me think what must happen in much colder and poorer parts of the world.

Sainsbury's has a 2 for £3 special on just now, so I picked up some smoothies today. I was super excited to find one with this super cute strawberry/hearts motif. Each hat is knitted by hand by volunteers; thousands of people make little hats and send them in for the campaign.

I have no idea what I will do with my little hat when I'm done. I have 3 in total now, so if you have any ideas let me know!

UPDATE:

My hat is currently keeping my cellphone warm in cozy in its inflatable German armchair.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Since they're festive, they could be repurposed for Christmas gifts/ornaments. I choose not to think of it as regifting but as crafting!

Orrrr, get a pet hamster. And keep him/her warm and stylish with a cute little hat! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Aisling said...

I have a little blue one. So cute. Right now it's keeping my stapler warm.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sorry - I deleted b/c I had a major typo in there! What I meant to say was:
The ornament idea is cute! Also, you could always send the hats back to Innocent for next year's hat supply. Recycling is good, no?!
-beannie

Lorry said...

I tagged you for making me thirsty. And making me want tiny hats. Maybr I could use them for Dagmar mittens?

Melaina25 said...

If you'd like them as Dagmar mittens you are more than welcome to them! The hat fits comfertably over my Motorola Pebl and it has dimensions of 86.5 x 49 x 20mm.

Let me know and I'm happy to post them your way :)