Wednesday 2 July 2008

Kentucky Fried Skin

So today is the NHS's 60th Birthday. For those of you who don't know I work for the NHS...I knew it was 60 years but I didn't realize it was today. How did I celebrate? I went to the tanning bed.

Okay, I know tanning beds are not healthy...I get it they are bad for you. I also have come to terms with representing pale force one, I'm translucent 12 months of the year now that I live in "sunny" Scotland. It's not a vanity thing, I could care less if I was tan for my wedding. However, I do NOT want to be sunburnt on my wedding or honeymoon.

So my option is the taninng bed. 6 minutes a go, 2-3 times a week for a month. I will not turn a healthy glow and I'm pretty sure most people will not even notice, but I will not fry in Cincinnati or the Dominican Republic for that matter. I am going to attempt to document my journey from Cling-wrap to porcelian. So I took a picture of my ring finger now (its the only tan line that isn't going to be on my ass) and will do so once a week or so. Somehow this also turned out to be the best picture I've ever taken of my ring.

I also have to say, as much as I know how bad they are for you, I also find the tanning beds ridiculously relaxing. There is something about the warmth and the buzzing of the machine I don't know. I might be alone on this one, but I find it very soothing.

Maybe because it never really gets hot here, even if its sunny you don't ever get that overwhelming sense of heat. I don't know, but I definitely miss summer. Actually I miss all 4 distinct seasons; everything just blends into one big wet, overcast windy mild season.

Well from fried skin to fried chicken; Pamela Anderson would be pissed off at me, but she also has been carrying around a huge Hermès leather bag lately, but I'm going to get some KFC after receiving an email from Pepsi about some special they are running stateside. I find KFC here to be fundamentally flawed because it does not have biscuits or mashed potatoes.





8 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Yea, so opted against KFC in the end and have ordered some Chinese instead.....

Sabrina said...

The big question is, did they offer egg drop soup? Inquiring minds need to know!

Melaina25 said...

No egg drop soup, they've never heard of it over here. They don't do General Tsao's either. I got Veggie Chow Mein and Sweet and Sour Chicken...stomach is already upset with me. Grr!

Sabrina said...

So KFC doesn't offer mashed potatoes or biscuits, and Chinese restaurants have no egg drop soup. These are all great supports for my argument that you two should move to DC.

Oh, and don't tell me Ohio has those things too. You really need DC egg drop soup.

Anonymous said...

i agree on the relaxing-ness of the tanning bed.. and as you know.. i dont tan either and i doubt anyone other than betsy and jessica could tell i had been going for her wedding.. i just didnt want to glow with so much of my back showing.. so i turned normal pale.. and u couldnt see every vein in my body. heh.

Mary said...

Boo for tanning beds, but your ring is GORGEOUS!

Liz said...

Your ring is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you :) I've never been able to get such a good picture, but I've been playing with the digicam...tanzanite, diamonds and general sparklyness is hard to capture.